ontario university applications

To apply to an Ontario university, you must submit an application through the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC). There are 3 different applications for undergraduate programs.

The deadline to apply depends on whether you are currently in high school, and what type of program you are applying for.

For example, professional programs often have different deadlines than undergraduate programs (Bachelor’s). You can find information about application deadlines on the OUAC website.

How do I apply to a university or university?

Each school (university or university) can decide on admission requirements and select which students to accept.

Generally, you can apply to a university or university in 1 of these categories:

“Domestic” student – You are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

International student or “foreigner” – You are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. You’ll need a study permit.

Generally, international students must pay a higher tuition fee for college and college programs. In some cases, tuition is double or three times the amount of household students pay.

Some colleges and universities have different tuition fees for children and dependents of diplomats, and children or dependents of people with some form of work permit.

In Ontario, all children 18 years of age and younger can expect public elementary and secondary schools, regardless of their immigration status or their parents’ status. However, this law does not apply to colleges and universities.

New regulations for obtaining study permits

On June 1, 2014, new rules came into effect that makes it easier for studio permit holders to work off-campus. Full-time students who follow an academic, professional, or vocational training program at a learning institution:

  • They will be eligible to work off-campus without a work permit;
  • will be able to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week for a regular, full-time academic period during regularly scheduled rest periods;
  • they will be able to work off campus immediately, instead of waiting six months.


For more information: www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp